Seeds collected from pods of a productive hermaphrodite. They were very hot when I got them so the seeds were pretty dehydrated. Not sure if they were this year’s crop or last year’s.
I hope the superior parentage will lead to superior seedlings.
I scarified them in boiling water and let them steep for 24 hours. They still weren’t entirely rehydrated so I used a small pocketknife to score the seed coat at the other end from the rooting end. Then I put them in very warm water for another 24 hours. I put them in a wet paper towel on a plastic plate for a while, keeping them hydrated. They still weren’t doing much (although they were plumper) so I then exposed them to bottom heat. Some seeds chitted not long after I did that. I then tried to sterilize some potting soil and put them in a seedling tray with bottom heat. I’d say I had them hydrating either in full or partial water for at least 3 days before bottom heat was applied.
This planting has been archived (Failed to Germinate).
Collected from the wild.
Latest Milestone Dying
Put lid on seedling tray to fend off pests. Seems it generated too much heat. Some seedlings dead.
Some seedlings dying as a result of bird or rodent damage to seedling tray.
Sprouting day 13
Cotyledons are starting to pop on one of them.
Hardening Off day 8
Kept the tray indoors overnight, then put it outside this morning.
Potting Up day 7
Put into seedling tray.
Sown day 0
Started the process by scarifying and soaking the seeds.