17°C / 62°F
Today I’m doing things in little bits, and I’ll just keep adjusting the journal as I go. I’ve got huge quantities of pain, zero stamina, and a lot that I should try to do today (we’ll see how much gets done), so the built in element of procrastination should be good.
- Put more orange peel mulch on the blueberries; this has become a daily activity. I’ve gotten their PH down to 7 from 7.5 when they started. Part of that is probably the sulfur gradually doing its job. I’ve read that acidity is hard to maintain unless your soil is inherently acidic (whatever that means), so I’m hoping that as the orange peels break down they will be helpful in maintaining acidity over the long haul. Besides, it’s good to have an excuse to eat lots of citrus. It’s becoming one of my favorite things about the blueberries.
- Noticed a potato sprout. Just one so far, but there are upheaval-looking cracks in the soil where the other potatoes were, so more sprouts can’t be far behind.
- Checked on the spinach, which is mostly dead. I’m seriously unhappy. I was going to check on everything, but got distracted by the spinach. It’s not worth doing anything else out there until I get this cat under control. The cat hasn’t dug up the bed since my most recent row cover attempt, but there was a fresh footprint.
- Pulled off all the discoloured peppers from my ristra of thai chilis. I don’t think I’ll be doing that again (drying chilis, that is); it’s too humid here for things to dry properly and they end up molding and going bad. I tossed them into the mortar and pestle and have been grinding them down. If the inhaled pepper dust is any indication, any discolouring badness that makes me uncomfortable eating them hasn’t had any impact on their capsicum levels. Yes, peeing kitty, these are for you. I realize I’ll likely be in for serious quantities of volunteer thai chilis, but that’s a small price to pay for no more peeing kittys. I might try reseeding the spinach; I should be able to get some baby spinach even if there isn’t enough time for full blown plants before they have to come out for the tomatoes to go in. Although I think the tomatoes can go in in a couple of weeks so it might just not be worth it. I can try spinach again in the fall or (cringe) buy it. Or just not eat spinach for a year; that’s not a huge problem either. Must decide… Per xan’s suggestion, the ground up peppers are going on the bed where the cat likes to dig. I think I’ll keep the row cover as well, but I want this down on the dirt as well, just in case.
- planted more parsnip and carrots; neither of them had done anything. The carrots might be duds, and they’re all used up, so I must buy some seeds from a store next time I’m at one. Although there might just be cat issues, since although this bit of the bed wasn’t dug up, it had clearly been walked all over and sat upon.
- planted more scorzonera. About 4 of them had come up, but the others hadn’t.
- decided not to plant more spinach. Instead, pricked the big bundle of volunteer mustard next to the spinach and spread them out in the bed to give them more space. Did the same thing with some 2 tatsoi seedlings and a kohlrabi.
- 1 asparagus is coming up. Whew. I was worried they’d all be duds. I had to rebury another asparagus root that was completely exposed from the digging. On the plus side, it didn’t look dead, and it looked substantially happier than when I had planted it. But on the negative side, it hadn’t actually started to do anything either and who knows how long it had been cat-exposed. If I ever see this cat, there’s going to be some serious reckoning. I have a garden hose, and I know how to use it.
- planted squash. Not sure if it’s early enough to take or not, but I thought I might as well since there are plenty of seeds and I only want two plants. Worst case, I plant more seeds in a couple of weeks, best case, they get a bit of a head start.
- I tossed some flower seeds around the squash patch. I’m not going to record varieties. Too much effort and I have too little faith. I will mark them in as established if/when they sprout. I think I have to limit my careful bookkeeping to things I care more about. But for the record, I put out calendula, bachelor’s buttons, statice, tithonia, and sunflowers.
- a couple of sweet peas have sprouted. Which is nice, because I’d started to think they were duds.
- I planted out two more celeriacs that somehow didn’t make it out when the others did a few days ago.
- It looks like some arugula and orach might be starting to pop up in the haphazard bed. This is good, because I was getting seriously concerned about my plan to not put in any effort and just let things reseed instead.
- It looks like my sylvetta arugula and salad burnet have died. I think they came out of dormancy too soon and got set back by the frost and couldn’t recover. I haven’t decided if I’m going to put out more salad burnet or not. The sylvetta arugula I am worrying about zero because it self-seeded amazingly well and I should have an abundance of new plants.
- The beetberry self-seeded amazingly well and has pretty much covered the zokalo bed. It’s nice, because it’s now acting as a cover crop and I’ll be able to wander through and eat it all when the time comes to plant other things.
Still to do:
- I need to do a once-over and check which cinder block pots made it. I still have tons of beet seedlings I can put out if there’s space and more nasturtium seeds if I need them. I’m officially too tired to do any more today, so this will have to be the next thing I do.
- Weed the squash patch. There’s some borage coming up near the compost pile and it’s got to go before it gets stingy. And there’s grass coming up in a few places and I want it gone.