My partner and I harvested the bottom tray from our worm bin. We mixed the worm castings with dirt from the pile at the end of the driveway. And, we repotted all the houseplants. Well, everything except the ficus and one of the spider plants. It really felt like work. If you notice me whining about how lazy I feel in the rest of today’s journals, this is the root cause.
Somewhere along the way I seem to have introduced an aloe vera to my face, resulting in a broken off stalk, so I’m trying to root it. And we decided the Chinese evergreen from the library had gotten too insane and we split it. We also decided the dracaena had gotten too leggy and decided to compare and contrast propagating techniques.
We cut the dracaena into thirds. One pot got the bottom with the root, one pot got the top with the leaves. The third third we cut in half lengthwise, resulting in two half cylinders. Those we laid down in pots. Allegedly they’ll root out the bottom surface and stick shoots out either end of the top. Although the dracaena is my partner’s baby and he did the propagation research; I didn’t vet it for accuracy. But we figure at least one part of the plant will survive, otherwise we can buy a new one for $2. He took the bottom half into his study, and I kept the bits that needed to develop roots down on the kitchen radiator where they are first in line for my attention.
Somehow in the shuffle we ended up with a spider plant that I can’t account for. I’m fairly certain that we didn’t propagate any spider plants, so who knows where it came from. Hmm… maybe my study? Now I have to go through the houseplant garden and see if there is supposed to be a spider plant in my study. It’s in the organ room now, but that’s not the best place for it since last year when things got too cold to cure squash on the porch we cured them in the organ room instead, so there really isn’t space once the squash start coming in.
Someday, after I feel like moving again, I will post pictures.
We have some dirt left over, and it will go to mounding up around the seedlings in the winter garden. That will also have to wait until I feel like moving. I need to decide if I should transplant the green onions into fresh soil while I’m at it. And if I’m not up for moving right now, I’m even less up for deciding.
I also, at this point, have no idea which plant is which anymore. I’m confident that the coffees are still the coffees, and that the Chinese evergreens are still the Chinese evergreens. But I’m by no means sure that I haven’t swapped aloes, prayer plants, and spider plants. So my journals are just going to track whichever plant occupies a place in my house, rather than specific individuals. Especially since I know we swapped some plants. Explain to me why the spider plant in the smallest container had the largest root system, while the ones in larger containers hardly had any roots at all. If I were clever, I would’ve put tags on them or something.