It’s been quite a few weeks since purchasing the worm farm and today was the first day that they’ve come to the surface. Usually to check on them I’ve had to rummage around the compost in order to find them (brings me back to the good ol’ days when Dad took me to the tip, to dump things of course, and I would go scavenging in search for discarded junk that I could make use of. Sometimes we would come back with more than we took there :)
The worms are looking quite healthy – well above 10cm in length and quite plump. They’re very active in when I open the bin lid they’re slid back under the compost.
One concern I’m having is the possibility of anaerobic conditions – as worm numbers on the top could indicate that the conditions below are not ideal. Then again it could also mean that they could be hungry – strange how the same behaviour can mean two completely opposite reasons.
Something to watch for over the next few days