Seed Swaps

More Snow

18 Mar 2013
Sunny -7°C / 19°F

You know you’re ready for spring when you feel like you should start talking back to the weather forecast…

Weather Forecast: 15 to 20 centimetres of snow tonight through Tuesday.

Me: No thank you. We have enough snow. Please refrain from snowing until December 1. Adequate and appropriately timed rainfall until then will be greatly appreciated.

Weather Forecast: A complex low pressure system will spread snow into Extreme Eastern Ontario beginning later tonight and continuing through the day Tuesday.

Me: Um, I’m not sure you understand. Complex or not, we do not need more snow at this time. We have enough snow. Please do not send any more snow. A little rain would be okay, just to help the snow melt – gradually.

Weather Forecast: Current indications suggest that as much as 20 centimetres may fall by the time the snow begins to taper off late in the day on Tuesday.

Me: Listen, we really have had enough snow. Is there some sort of “Do Not Snow” list I can sign the region up for?

Weather Forecast: Motorists are advised to exercise caution as driving conditions will deteriorate due to accumulating snow and lower visibilities.

Me: Right, stay home if you can, leave yourself some extra time and space, rock the car to get out of a snow bank, overnight parking restrictions in effect, schools remain open but busses not running, etc. etc. We get it, not the first storm to hit this region.

I think if we had hashtags on folia, #noMoreSnow could probably start trending, at least in Canada.



How cutely written… Keep Warm!

Posted on 18 Mar 13 (about 5 years ago)

I find myself doing the same thing when I hear the weather forecast……except my response is just me screaming NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) By Sunday, the “high” here is “supposed” to be 0. That’s going to feel positively tropical!
My husband wants to take down our rickety shed this year and has always said he would build me a year-round greenhouse suitable for zone 3. I am currently compiling a supply list!

Posted on 19 Mar 13 (about 5 years ago)

@Cherokee_Motley. Thanks, it is if nothing else a good excuse to indulge in a hot chocolate or mocha latte!

@Deanna I often employ the NOOOO strategy, but thought maybe a different approach might work. Turns out, not so much. It must have started snowing overnight and it’s fairly heavy at this point. Looks like we’re on track for at least 20cm.

I keep dreaming about a greenhouse. I’d like one for the chickens (attached to their house) and one for me. Or maybe just one big greenhouse attached to the chicken house where my growing space swaps with their foraging/outdoor area each year. If you’re going with a poly cover, I found a supplier last year who was super helpful with tips and ideas for anchoring it in my rocky soil. I haven’t purchased any yet but the name is Northern Greenhouse Plastic if you are interested and have not yet found them. I may go with a larger coldframe covered in two layers of the woven poly to start with. I think it will be more cost effective and, provided I stake the coldframe so I can find it, let me start planting outdoors around this time of year.

Posted on 19 Mar 13 (about 5 years ago)

Thanks for the tip! I’ll check it out. I was thinking about a cold frame too, or making one of my raised beds a “convertible” greenhouse. Even though I have found a few sites with people who have greenhouses year-round in zone 3, I won’t believe it until I’m doing it. No one is talking hard numbers, either. If my hydro bill is going to be insane, a full on greenhouse may not be smart.

Posted on 19 Mar 13 (about 5 years ago)

I think you might be able to have a year round cold greenhouse if you also add protection inside the greenhouse, like a cold frame or row cover and grow things like kale, leeks, spinach, etc. Even if it just stretched the season into November/December and started again in March, I think it would be neat. I don’t think I’d try heating the house… I seem to remember another folian (hotwired?) getting a hydro bill that was pretty insane (over $800 IIRC), which is a bit scary.

Posted on 19 Mar 13 (about 5 years ago)

On the other hand, my grad student friend who had no way to get back to school after break got a reprieve when the school sent out an alert not to return to campus due to the storm.

Posted on 25 Mar 13 (about 5 years ago)

Would you like to add a comment? Sign up for a free account, or log in if you're already a member.