I’ve had trouble with the Spotted Asparagus Beetle for a couple of years now … can’t tell you how many I’ve squished, how many larva I’ve dropped into soapy water, and how many eggs I’ve rubbed off the plants. Today, I went to pick the asparagus and there were Common Asparagus Beetles. I squished three out in the garden, and another five when I cleaned the asparagus inside. Terry and I went out in February and cut down the asparagus stalks because that’s where the Spotted Asparagus Beetle supposedly lays their eggs. We didn’t compost the stalks, we put them in the garbage. This is so frustrating.
On the brighter side, I did plant my rutabaga seeds … two kinds, Laurentian and Helenor Organic. There weren’t a lot of seeds in the Helenor packet, so I just managed to plant two four-foot rows. The Laurentian is also in two four-foot rows, but there are lots of seeds left over.
I mulched both kinds of peas with grass clippings after weeding the bed. Also sprayed all the hostas with ammonia water. Also sprayed the pathway by the ‘Pathway Flowerbed’ with a weed killer – I think it’s just a really strong vinegar as that’s all I could smell. I was a bit disappointed when I smelled it, but an hour later it looks as though it is managing to kill quite a few weeds, so I’m pleased I didn’t waste my money.