Perhaps not surprisingly the shelter building has taken a bit longer than expected. This evening though, I feel that the completion of the pasture shelter is in sight.
On Sunday (photo 2) I managed to get the rest of the collar ties, the stringers and the roosts in place. Yesterday I built the nest box (shown standing on its side on the right hand side of the main photo), the front door, the egg door, and the covering to protect the nest box. The nest box will be installed on the second set of stringers and I’ll be able to collect eggs from the outside. The base of the nest box is 1/4 inch hardware cloth which Ussery recommends for somewhat “self-cleaning” nest boxes.
Today I sanded the whole structure as I’ve decided I’d like to paint all of it for increased longevity and ease of cleaning. I also sanded down the edges on the collar ties and roosts so that they will be more comfortable for roosting. Tomorrow I’ll start priming & painting. Once that is done I’ll install the hardware cloth on the front & back and the poly tarp over the top. I’ll also need to select wheels and purchase the hardware necessary to install them. Ussery uses a bolt & wing nut system so that the wheels can be removed and used on more than one shelter. I would like to do the same.
I’m quite pleased with how it’s working out. I especially like the egg door and I can’t wait to start collecting eggs! I also sanded some of the scrap plywood so that I can paint it and make signs for the shelter.