I can’t tell you how happy I am to have this project done! I thought that I was almost done in late February, after removing a ton of sod, digging placements for the railroad ties, moving them into place, filling the bed with topsoil, and then topping it off with mulch. I was all set to plant when we got a HUGE rainstorm, that part of our yard flooded, and instead of the raised bed keeping the soil inside dry, the raised bed ended up acting like a sponge and slurped up a ton of water from the puddle around it. So I potted up the pomegranates instead of planting them out, and then switched over to more time-sensitive gardening tasks: creating beds for and planting my blueberries, bare root blackberries, bare root Rugosa roses, and bare root asparagus, planting the vegetable garden, weeding, and watering. Meanwhile, nothing but weeds grew in my beautiful new raised bed.
This week I took a few vacation days since my mom was in town. She was eager to help in the garden and we got a lot done… including finally finishing the pomegranate bed project! We dug up more sod and moved the railroad ties (they’re HEAVY) and then I moved the soil and planted the 2 pomegranates, transplanted 2 lantanas from elsewhere in the front yard, and planted out the 8 ‘Baby Sun’ Coreopsis that I grew from seed indoors.
Photo #1: The moved and planted pomegranate bed
Photo #2: The now-connected street-side bed
Photo #3: Where the pomegranate bed used to be – we’ll be planting grass seed there this weekend
Photo #4: The soggy pomegranate bed back in February, pre-move