A few weeks ago, I bought a new garden tool. I’d read good reviews about this particular item in several places, and after yet another day trying to dig up my prize-winning and extensive creeping buttercup collection, I decided to order it as I was getting nowhere fast with my “trusty” combo of a pointy trowel and old kitchen knife.
The new gizmo duly arrived and I’ve been weeding up a storm ever since – weather permitting. What a difference. It’s called a “Cobra Head” and doubtless it’s based on a centuries’ old design, but it’s all new and marvelous to me. It’s made the whole buttercup extraction process much easier, more thorough and precise – I am able to remove the wretches even where they’re growing right against emerging tulips without ruining the wanted leaves and bulbs. My only regret is that I didn’t own one sooner…
I’ve still a lot of weeding to do – and soil amender to shift – but the weather continues precarious. This afternoon turned out alright as the sun put in a bit of an appearance but the wind was unpleasantly chilly. The forecast “threatens” a good Saturday and we might even hit double digits….we shall see!
In the meantime, I decided to start toughening up some of my softies (aka hardening off) – specifically my dahlias, some of which are scarily advanced. They spent the afternoon in the shade outdoors and were brought back inside this evening – I shall be repeating this exercise for some days to come in the hope they can go out into the [almost-built] hoop house towards the end of the month. My indoor greenhouse is getting a bit crowded and I will need the space for the tomatoes, eggplants, hot peppers et al.
Roll on warmer weather.
Main photo: The miraculous “Cobra”. (It got a quick wash & brush-up before its portrait was taken!)
Photo 1: Start of dahlia hardening-off.
Photo 2: It is what it is. Don’t suppose Frank Gehry’s losing any sleep.
Photo 3: Finally, some of the Spring bulbs in pots are about to break forth.
Photo 4: My first-ever Easter Lily – courtesy of the NG!