Picked these seeds from one of the local trees, selecting for size and deformity free fruit (we’ll know in 10 years if that made any difference. :)
The suggested method is to sow them fresh, which I did. I also removed the flesh.
They’ve all germinated but at their own speed and with their own quirks it seems.
The fruit is a single round(ish) seed but upon sprouting anywhere between 1 and 6 separate seedlings will emerge. I thought I must have been fat fingered when I was sowing them but there were too many of them like it. An alternative was that the seed must have been segmented and I just missed it when they had been removed from the flesh, being slimy and not scrubbed clean (of course!) However, on pricking them out into their own pots, there isn’t anything so obvious about it. They separate easily enough but the seed hasn’t divided evenly, it appears to have fractured, there is no even division of the flesh.
No matter, they are growing well and with multiple seedlings per seed I can safely say they have 100% germination. (DW’s behind me so I won’t say it’s more than 100% or I’ll get a back hander :-)
And… apparently Polyembryony is the magical term to use in cases like this.