My supposed vineyard of 4 vines all died in 2010, so I thought. Suddenly the Concord Grape Vine exploded with grapes this year. I managed to get about 3/4 bushel or 29 pounds harvested. I selected the ripest and best of the grapes for processing into jelly. I really was hoping that I had a couple more weeks before I had to deal with it because of I just got my follow-up 3 cancer treatments and they kicked my butt.
Anyway I processed the grapes in a Squeezo to remove the skins and seeds. I ended up with a thick grape juice, which I squeeze and strained with cheesecloth. I ended up with about 16 cups of deep burgundy colored juice. Three years ago I tried the recipe in the Sure-Jell package and was really disappointed how it setup. This year I followed PaulP’s recipe exactly, except for the separate cheesecloth straining. All 25 half-pints turned out phenomenal. I made three batches (25 pints), with one last night and two this morning. I put a jar on the counter where my wife and kids make their breakfasts and lunch bags. I found an empty jelly jar and an empty English Muffin bag on the counter this morning. I also found a note under the empty jar with one word – MORE! I’m definitely investing in more grape vines next Spring. I may also try my hand at cuttings this winter. I’m looking forward to following PaulP’s wine making instructions.
I started de-seeding a bushel of peppers, but couldn’t do it. I’m logging my harvest and jelly and going back to bed. Hopefully I’ll be feeling better by Monday. I have to finish getting a hoop-house designed, pick a half bushel of brussel sprouts, and freeze about 18-20 pounds of peppers, My green beans are loaded and need to be picked, and my garlic needs harvesting for seedstock.
Not enough hours in a day even when I’m not feeling like a truck ran over me.
Grape - Concord Preserved
25 half pints of Grape Jelly
Grape - Concord Harvesting
3/4 bushel grapes harvested
Capsicum annuum var. annuum (Grossum Group)
Picked enough to process int 18-19 lbs frozen