“Boil ’em, mash ’em, stick ’em in a stew…”
Today I decided to tackle the taters. They’ve been looking poorly and I’ve been unsure what to do about it so, in classic form, I did next to nothing. Until today that is.
First pull on the German Butterballs showed some good size so I went to town pulling the plants and digging, with my hands mind you, my crop. I had many good sized potatoes with some that looked like they’ve been chewed on by something. It was an interesting harvest since it was vastly different from the sweet potatoes last year. I was a little concerned – in my ignorance of potato growing, I did not allow for hilling of my plants. When I learned of this possible need I was worried but decided to go with a plan B I found which was to cover well with mulch (in my case, straw). There were a few with sunscald but I was very lucky that those were few and far between.
It was nearly 8 when I started the reds so I had to hustle a bit. In the almost dark I finished harvesting the lovely LARGE red sangre potatoes and dragged it all to the house.
For my first year of potatoes, I’m very pleased with the harvest. I will follow up with pics and possible individual counts tomorrow. I do need to check for stragglers tomorrow after work and am torn about the best process for that. I would hate to stick my garden fork in a lovely tuber so I’ll have to ponder it a bit.
As for the rest of the garden, I toured quickly and saw that many tomatoes are starting to blush. I’ll do a quick harvest of some of the ready toms tomorrow morning and a more thorough tour of the rest of the garden tomorrow night. For now, to rest and reflect on the bounty from the garden!
Edit – pics added
Pic 1 – Sangre Potatoes
Pic 2 – German Butterball Potatoes
Potato German Butterball Harvesting
Potato Red Sangre Harvesting