I planted a mess of seeds today. I was inspired by Cristyn to try a less structured approach to planting.
First, I noticed a few “volunteer” carrots (not really volunteer, they’ve likely sprouted from seeds I scattered last fall), so I sprinkled three kinds of carrots around the North bed.
Next, I sprinkled cress seeds willy-nilly around the North bed and in the tray that the pea shoots are in. Cress will sprout fast. While I was at it, I tossed a few of those into the South bed too.
Next, I planted seeds for a bunch more brassica greens. I put out markers for most of these, since all brassicas look the same as sprouts, and I want to make sure I know which are which — for example, I don’t want to harvest all the boc choi as baby greens.
Next, I harvested a handful of microgreens — a lot of orach, some corn salad leaves, and some miner’s lettuce.
Finally, I planted another tray of microgreens. Germination in the original ones is pretty uneven.
Oh, and one more thing — while I was planted the microgreens, I moved a tray and found a sprig of orach seeds. They seemed fine, so I buried them in the South bed. Later I’ll probably call them “volunteers.”