Today I made another fortuitous discovery! One bulb of the Amaryllis hybrids I hadn’t finished cleaning up & preparing for hibernation had a scape about 10cm long! So I immediately finished cleaning it up & repotted it in a yellow plastic pot. It was also fortunate that I still had enough compost in a bag on the balcony to be able to do this!
This Amaryllis hybrid is one of the older hybrids I grew from seed some years back. This isn’t one of those seedlings but an offshoot of an offshoot probably. I have so many plants I can’t keep track of them individually!
This one flowered successfully – pure red – & the first stem of flowers have now died & dried up. But, unbeknown to me for a week or more, was the fact that there was a 2nd bud just out of the bulb! It had been on our living room table for about 2 weeks when I discovered when taking photos of the flowers. I hadn’t noticed before as the bulb was on our living room table but the bud was turned away from view, which is how I came to miss it at first!
That 2nd bud has grown very fast & for Christmas Day 2016 the flowers should start to open.
I said in my last post I expected this 2ndscape to open in time for Christmas Day – it didn’t quite make it instead it opened on the 29th December 2016. Still not bad going for a 2nd scape in such a short time!
Today, 10th January 2017, two of the 3 flowers on this 2nd scape have died & the 3rd has only about a week left before it too goes over. :-(( Then I shall be without any more Amaryllis flowers for a month or 6 weeks.
Today I discovered 5 more bulbs with buds just starting to leave the necks of the bulbs. :-))