Some weeks ago my wife& I were doing some shopping in town when we came across these Dianthus, called ‘Pink Kisses’. My wife especially liked them so we bought a pot. a week or so later we saw they had some more so we bought 2 more pots. The first pot has spent all its time in our living room where it continues to do quite well. After a few days in the living room the other 2 pots went out onto the balcony. They have made a lot of new growth & there are no end of buds growing up. These will begin to open in a few days time. I hope to get some cuttings from them soon so I can continue to grow them on our balcony & have a few in reserve in case the original plants don’t make it through the winter. Even though they are hardly plants I always like to have a few cuttings of many of my plants to over winter as we can never tell what sort of winter we may have.
A couple of months ago I brought the 3 plants back inside the house & put them on our bedroom windowsill. Since then they have been there but I find they dry out very quickly & I have to water them very frequently. The reason I brought them inside was that they were “lost” amongst the other plants on the balcony & also so that my wife might be able to see them every day.
I don’t have a recent photo of them on the bedroom windowsill as the only plants that have been there for a long time are the Amaryllis. These are no more than pots full of leaves! So I never seem to have my phone with me when I go to water the plants in the window & therefore I haven’t taken any photos!
About two weeks ago I found the plants were heavily infested with some kind of aphid & they were sucking the poor plants dry! I took the plants into the bathroom & put them in the bath & turned the shower on them! Rather drastic perhaps but I believed it worked as I managed to wash off the great majority of the insects & after their good soaking I put them out on the balcony hoping the colder weather would kill off any remaining aphids (but not the plants, obviously!) it seems to have worked as the plants are still alive &, although they look rather bedraggled, I’ve seen no more sign of the aphids. But to be sure I must inspect carefully each of the 3 plants.
Unfortunately these poor plants died on me some months ago. It started late in the autumn when I discovered a very heavy infestation of a kind of aphid on my plants. They were far too many to simply squish, as I often do with these insects, & as I don’t have any chemical products at home with which to kill them it occurred to that perhaps I could wash the great majority off & thus save the plants. I took them to the bathroom & used the shower head to wash them away. Perhaps I over did it as they looked bedraggled for some days afterwards. I tried not to wet the compost but only wash the leaves. It certainly seeded to do the trick in as far as washing away the aphids but the plants never recovered.
Two of the 3 plants showed signs of drying up a few weeks later & as the winter set in ended up dying. The other one clung to life most of the winter but as spring came round it, too, died.