These seeds were from a lemon basil plant we bought when we lived in California.
It got neglected when I got cancer, but I grabbed seeds from it before it died. The seeds were badly effected by whatever hit my seed stash this year (see my journal entry “Super Hardy Seeds” for more on that).
Sowed indoors March 17. Only one came up on time, and two others took a full month to appear. One of those didn’t last long.
Used up the rest of the seeds on April 15. Got three more plants from that, most of which took a looong time coming up, and again, one didn’t survive to adulthood.
That left me with a total of four lemon basil plants (which was the number I wanted), growing very slowly. Planted out three on May 31st. The last two weren’t big enough yet.
I got confused when planting them out and thought i had miscounted them, and only had three plants. Discovered later I misplaced one among my cinnamon basil seedlings. Since I thought i didn’t have enough after all to fill the spots between the tomatoes in bed #2, I trimmed the largest one and stuck the sprig in the ground to create another plant. So now I have five lemon basil.
I planted out the last two today, June 20.
Raised Bed #2 in Sunray garden [Archived]