Creating Folia plant tags - one method (Or, how to exercise your OCD)
Monday, 20 Feb 12 Rainy 12°C / 54°F
(in progress – explanations soon….)
Update: Now I have a moment to explain the crazy.
I created a set of Folia plant tags to keep attached to the plants, from seedbed to planting out in the garden. Partially, this is motivated by the fact that I don’t garden at my own house but am essentially a sharecropper for my friend’s front yard. He loves the garden, but is often wondering what things are. Also, we may be leaving this garden next year, and want to leave a record of what things are, where they came from, etc. The QR codes are ideal for this purpose, not to mention for the large numbers of passers-by that also want to know about the plants in the garden. Easy information for all! :)
Main photo: the finished tags in the seed flat
Photo #1: Printed tags, cut to size
– Apparently, QR codes can be read even with a darker background (I tested this) Yay! No glaringly white tags in the garden!
– I batch-printed these with a laser printer (no runny inkjet!), printing four sheets per page so they were quite a bit smaller
– Cut them out with a large paper cutter
Photo #2: My ‘laminating machine’
– Each tag was placed in a row along a length of heavy-duty packing tape (the regular stuff isn’t as stiff, and I’m wary of it wicking moisture)
– Doubled-over the tape, putting another layer on top to make a sealed, laminated surface
Photo #3: Cutting out each tag by hand is annoying. And sticky.
Photo #4: Water test
– Just to be sure, I submerged a tag in a bowl of water for several hours (it wanted to float, hence the yellow anchor) – not a leak in sight!
Does anyone else have a strategy for printing and using Folia plant or stash tags? I’m totally curious to see what options work for others.
This entry is about
Poppy 'Ziar' 2012-2/5 Sprouting, Crocus sativus 2011 Growing, Hyacinth 'Odysseus' 2011 Sprouting,...
Lettuce 'Arctic King' 2011-9/5 Harvesting, Lettuce 'Crisp Mint' 2011 Harvesting, Arugula voluntee...
Poppy 'Lavender Breadseed' 2012-2/5 Sprouting, Parsley leftovers Harvesting, Arugula volunteers H...
Lupine 'Red Flame' Damaged, Y South Flower Bed garden , Y North Flower Bed garden , Iris suaveole...