What is the best feed for tomatoes?
Any good ideas for home-made feed for tomato plants? My tomatoes are in pots. I understand it is not good to give them too much nitrogen, but that they need extra calcium. Here are my own tips (but I don’t know if they are any good): I put a bit of milk, tea, or coffee in the water sometimes, but otherwise stick to water. Feedback is much appreciated.0 thumbs up!Posted 11 months ago
Some use commercial tomato feeds like me, others use teas of different kinds (“teas” here are the result of diluting the liquid formed from decomposing green stuffs or even from cultivated worms!). Some people add crushed egg shells for calcium. Other people swear by seaweed extract, especially for foliar feeding. Some people use coffee grounds as a fertilizer.
2 thumbs up!Posted 11 months ago
Thank your for the advice! I have heared about these “compost teas” and foliar feeding. I am a but cautious about spraying the leaves, because I am afraid of (1) causing vulnerability to fungal disease, and (2) causing a reaction in the plant that generatse poisons (some plants do this when attacked) that may affects the fruits. So, what kind of commercial tomato feeds do you think work best?
0 thumbs up!Posted 11 months ago
Tomatoes are heavy feeders so they certainly need a lot of nutrients!
If you do crop rotation, plant peas in the season before you do the tomatoes. The extra boost of nitrogen is great when tomatoes are just starting out (but not when they should be fruiting).
I have to give a big thumbs up to worm casts and worm teas too! Seaweed tea is also very good as a foliar feed. It actually strengthens the leaves. Don’t worry, it’s not going to cause fungus or generate poisons!
Seaweed extract is available commercially.
Also, be careful with going overboard with the coffee grounds – it raises the acidity level of the soil.
1 thumbs up!Posted 11 months ago
Hi there! You're reading a conversation in the Container gardens group on Folia.
All about the joys and challenges of growing things in pots, bathtubs, containers and other movable objects.
Other Recent Topics See more...
- 3 What's a good plant food for windowboxes that I can make? in the Container gardens group Posted by Cassian 11 days ago. Last reply by Cassian 10 days ago.
- 3 Peas growing indoors - a pollination question in the Container gardens group Posted by Cassian 15 days ago. Last reply by Orri 14 days ago.
- 9 Container Celery? in the Container gardens group Posted by JimMarconnet 12 months ago. Last reply by ReluctantCook 14 days ago.
- 19 Really inexpensive large containers for gardening in the Container gardens group Posted by JimMarconnet about 1 year ago. Last reply by halhurst about 1 month ago.
- 0 My flower box. Pictures of my project. in the Container gardens group Posted by jardinierofthenorth 28 days ago.