What is the best feed for tomatoes?
Any good ideas for home-made feed for tomato plants? My tomatoes are in pots. I understand it is not good to give them too much nitrogen, but that they need extra calcium. Here are my own tips (but I don’t know if they are any good): I put a bit of milk, tea, or coffee in the water sometimes, but otherwise stick to water. Feedback is much appreciated.0 thumbs up!Posted over 1 year ago
Some use commercial tomato feeds like me, others use teas of different kinds (“teas” here are the result of diluting the liquid formed from decomposing green stuffs or even from cultivated worms!). Some people add crushed egg shells for calcium. Other people swear by seaweed extract, especially for foliar feeding. Some people use coffee grounds as a fertilizer.
2 thumbs up!Posted over 1 year ago
Thank your for the advice! I have heared about these “compost teas” and foliar feeding. I am a but cautious about spraying the leaves, because I am afraid of (1) causing vulnerability to fungal disease, and (2) causing a reaction in the plant that generatse poisons (some plants do this when attacked) that may affects the fruits. So, what kind of commercial tomato feeds do you think work best?
0 thumbs up!Posted over 1 year ago
Tomatoes are heavy feeders so they certainly need a lot of nutrients!
If you do crop rotation, plant peas in the season before you do the tomatoes. The extra boost of nitrogen is great when tomatoes are just starting out (but not when they should be fruiting).
I have to give a big thumbs up to worm casts and worm teas too! Seaweed tea is also very good as a foliar feed. It actually strengthens the leaves. Don’t worry, it’s not going to cause fungus or generate poisons!
Seaweed extract is available commercially.
Also, be careful with going overboard with the coffee grounds – it raises the acidity level of the soil.
1 thumbs up!Posted over 1 year ago
Hi there! You're reading a conversation in the Container gardens group on Folia.
All about the joys and challenges of growing things in pots, bathtubs, containers and other movable objects.
Other Recent Topics See more...
- 4 Using homemade self watering containers in the Container gardens group Posted by BruceF over 5 years ago. Last reply by glittertrash over 5 years ago.
- 3 6 Tips for Abundant Edibles in Container Gardens in the Container gardens group Posted by The_Micro_Gardener 3 months ago. Last reply by jerrydeacon 3 months ago.
- 4 I made this self water planter for my kitchen herbs indoors in the Container gardens group Posted by BloominGranny 3 months ago. Last reply by Loratika 2 months ago.
- 0 Wind and squirrels knocking over my planters in the Container gardens group Posted by BloominGranny 3 months ago.
- 17 What would you put in this? in the Container gardens group Posted by Cherokee_Motley 9 months ago. Last reply by rafika 3 months ago.