Cages for containers? How big is too big?
I am dedicating two Earthboxes to tomatoes this year. It’s my first time gardening, and I put together a pvc trellis that is 5 ft high x 5 ft wide x 2 ft deep (it’s raining or I’d take a picture of my handiwork!) Earthboxes are about 13" wide, and I’m afraid that I’ve made my cage too big for my tomatoes and that they’ll flop around in the cage. Is my trellis too big, or will my tomatoes grow into it? Should I put the Earthboxes in the center, or to one side to allow other containers to fit in? (I had also intended to plant some aromatic herbs and marigolds to help with pest control)…ideas?0 thumbs up!Posted about 2 years ago
I grow my tomatoes in similar containers. My cages are 4’ high, and I usually have enough tomato vine for at least three more feet on top of that, so no, I don’t think they’re too high at all. The plants will probably get huge, especially if they’re indeterminate varieties – what looks like a generously-spaced arrangement of boxes in May will look like a tomato jungle by July. Do you know yet what kinds you’re growing?
By the time your tomatoes need support they’ll be big enough to reach a cage five or six inches away. Just poke them through the side of the cage or tie them to it when they look like they could use a prop.
1 thumbs up!Posted about 2 years ago | Last edited about 2 years ago
Vaericks is right, the trellis/cage depends on the variety of Tomato you are growing. If its a vine type (indeterminate) it will need a much larger space than a bush type (determinate).
0 thumbs up!Posted about 2 years ago
Thanks to you both! I’m growing supersweet 100’s and yellow pear tomatoes so they’re both indeterminates. I can’t wait to get them going for real!
1 thumbs up!Posted about 2 years ago
Hi there! You're reading a conversation in the Container gardens group on Folia.
All about the joys and challenges of growing things in pots, bathtubs, containers and other movable objects.
Other Recent Topics See more...
- 2 My flower box. Pictures of my project. in the Container gardens group Posted by jardinierofthenorth about 1 month ago. Last reply by crochetkim 1 day ago.
- 6 What's a good plant food for windowboxes that I can make? in the Container gardens group Posted by Cassian 16 days ago. Last reply by JGarfield 2 days ago.
- 3 Peas growing indoors - a pollination question in the Container gardens group Posted by Cassian 20 days ago. Last reply by Orri 19 days ago.
- 9 Container Celery? in the Container gardens group Posted by JimMarconnet about 1 year ago. Last reply by ReluctantCook 19 days ago.
- 19 Really inexpensive large containers for gardening in the Container gardens group Posted by JimMarconnet about 1 year ago. Last reply by halhurst about 1 month ago.