Any good US titles? (magazines)
I’m a magazine addict, but I currently only have two subscriptions:
Mother Earth News
I’ve really enjoyed the eight months I’ve had Horticulture, so I’d recommend that to anyone. It’s not really technical, but it’s got more information than stuff like the right time to plant your pansies. MEN has a couple entertaining articles each time, but the advertisements are almost overwhelming!
Anyone have any recommendations for good magazines available in the US?0 thumbs up!Posted about 5 years ago
HUGE fan of Organic Gardening, turkeytaker. It’s affordable, and they offer excellent free subscriptions to 2 of your fellow gardeners when you re-subscribe. Each year, they introduce new items to the season rather than regurgitate content like other magazines do.
0 thumbs up!Posted about 5 years ago
I think you need a few different magazines to cover all your moods!
One technical, one specialized for what you’re into, one written for total laypeople and even one just for mindless eye candy, etc.
Regarding the latter, I love Birds and Blooms! I guess you have to like birds, too, but it’s definitely an even split between the two…plenty of straight up gardening. It’s like Playboy, though…you’re not really getting it for the articles. It’s a lot of vivid, beautiful photography…only a tad of technical info and lots of reader input features. But it’s a nice alternative to true horticultural mags when you just want to look at things and not think too much. And they don’t have ads! It’s not aimed at a particularly hip demographic, but I can get other magazines for that…
I recommend it!
0 thumbs up!Posted almost 5 years ago
Does anyone read magazine? It’s published here in Iowa (but covers all USDA zones) and has absolutely no advertising! I love it and have a library of most of the issues back to 1995. Not that I’m partial or anything. PLUS now they have a searchable DVD of all 102 issues, which makes it so easy to reference! If I find an article about a specific plant I can just note in my journal where I found it (issue and page #) so I can go back to it easily!
Another magazine I like is “Fine Gardening” — the photos are beautiful and even though it has advertising, there’s a wealth of information.
What is everyone else subscribing to these days?
0 thumbs up!Posted 10 months ago
Hi there! You're reading a conversation in the Gardening Magazines & Books group on Folia.
Discussion about Gardening Magazines and Books.
Other Recent Topics See more...
- 2 Gardening magazines - What was in that issue? in the Gardening Magazines & Books group Posted by WBJohn 3 months ago. Last reply by redloon 3 months ago.
- 3 UK Magazines in the Gardening Magazines & Books group Posted by daleclarke almost 5 years ago. Last reply by AberdeenshireQuine 10 months ago.
- 3 Any good US titles? (magazines) in the Gardening Magazines & Books group Posted by turkeytaker about 5 years ago. Last reply by Mamabluestem 10 months ago.
- 0 Nature's Garden in the Gardening Magazines & Books group Posted by vaericks over 1 year ago.
- 2 Pruning Books in the Gardening Magazines & Books group Posted by jmahoney about 2 years ago. Last reply by jmahoney about 2 years ago.