Well, its getting to that time of year up here… The plants are looking like the end is near, the temps have fallen & it is supposed to rain for the next 7 days. I have never made anything using unripe green tomatoes. What are everyone’s favourite Green Tomato Recipes?
PS I am so jealous seeing all of the little green seedlings at the top of the Tomato Lovers page (I’m looking at you Southern Hemisphere’s HesterB)!!!
well i just made green tomato pie from this recipe and thought it was good. My family liked it too, when they thought it was apple pie, but then after being told what it was, and after having eaten and praised half a piece, they changed their minds.Ingredients
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
2. Make the pie crust and let rest in the refrigerator for at least 30
3. Divide the dough in half. Place 1 piece of the dough on a lightly
floured surface and roll out to an 11-inch circle, about 1/8-inch
thick. Transfer to a 9-inch pie pan. Trim the crust with scissors or
a sharp knife to within 1/2-inch of the outer rim.
4. In a large bowl, mix together the brown sugar, 1/2 cup granulated
sugar, flour, cinnamon, salt, and pepper.
5. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of the flour mixture across the bottom of the
6. Add the tomatoes and lemon juice to the bowl with the remaining
flour mixture and toss to coat. Spoon the tomato mixture into the
pie shell, and dot with the butter.
7. Roll out the remaining crust on a lightly floured surface. Place on
top of the tomato filling and tuck the overlapping crusts into the
pan, forming a thick edge.
8. Crimp the edges to seal and cut small 1/2-inch long vents in a
decorative pattern along the top crust.
9. With a pastry brush, brush the top of the crust with the cream, and
sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of sugar.
10. Bake for 15 minutes, then reduce the temperature to 375 degrees F.
Bake until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbly, 35
to 40 minutes.
11. Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack for at least 1 hour
12. Serve warm or at room temperature.
We love chutneys and I made a green tomato chutney last year that was one of our favorites. I’m getting ready to make it again here soon and from my notes it looks like I ad-libbed it, but here’s a recipe that sounds similar to what I made and will be using this year.
My husband is asking me to make a green tomato ketchup – I’m still searching for a recipe at present.