Wanted: Carob 'Ceratonia siliqua'
Any one with some Carob seeds available? I’m after 50 or so, but will gratefully accept any quantity — of course!
Additionally, does any-one know of any that are growing in parks, nature strips, backyards around Melbourne? I understand they are grown as street trees in some of the inland areas, I’m hoping there are some here as well.
(posting to my journal as well)0 thumbs up!Posted over 2 years ago
Probably not the answer you need, but Greenharvest sells them. I ordered a bunch of seeds from them yesterday before I joined Folia. I also have a packet I bought from Eden seeds years ago, but never opened. It’s in my pile to try and start, but I see it’s a long slow process to getting anythIng out of them.
Not sure if any of that is helpful for you though.
0 thumbs up!Posted about 2 years ago
Ah, I should have mentioned that I did end up getting seeds, and it was from Edenseeds as it turns out. You mention 2 excellent companies there.
Remember the old adage- “The best time to plant a tree was seven years ago, the second best time is now!” I think it especially applies to carob trees. :-)
They can be hastened along with some good budwood apparently – so the grafting skills need rehoning.
As to being helpful – absolutely. The more activity there is (in this group particularly) the better the advertising – and we need it when it comes to local seedsaving. Too much is being lost as it is.
0 thumbs up!Posted about 2 years ago | Last edited about 2 years ago
If someone is interested in buying carobs please contact me.
0 thumbs up!Posted over 1 year ago
Hi there! You're reading a conversation in the Seed Saving, Swapping and Networking in Australia group on Folia.
The local Seed Saving Network in Australia has gone from a centralised model to a local one. Given the size of Australia and its comparatively small population that means that getting to a local group to participate is not as easy as it may seem.
This group is to help you, the enthusiastic seed saver, to do your part in saving our (your) seeds and help to distribute them around the country for others to further multiply and disperse – and of course, enjoy!
Other Recent Topics See more...
- 1 Great new group - thanks in the Seed Saving, Swapping and Networking in Australia group Posted by hillbillyhayshed almost 3 years ago. Last reply by graibeard almost 3 years ago.
- 0 Offer: Lablab seed in the Seed Saving, Swapping and Networking in Australia group Posted by Carol 5 months ago.
- 0 Wanted: Piper nigrum in the Seed Saving, Swapping and Networking in Australia group Posted by Carol 5 months ago.
- 2 Seed available for swap / giveaway in the Seed Saving, Swapping and Networking in Australia group Posted by namida 5 months ago. Last reply by Carol 5 months ago.
- 0 Message to would-be New Zealand Swappers in the Seed Saving, Swapping and Networking in Australia group Posted by Tomartyr almost 3 years ago.