Orchard boxes as raised vegetable beds
Hi all I’m new here and also to gardening in general. I’m interested mainly in veggie gardening but also other stuff.
We bought our place 2.5 years ago and the garden had been pretty much ignored for a while and was pretty weedy and bare. It is slowly taking shape with some new things we’ve put in, a new front fence, and also some really ugly things we’ve removed (mostly weeds).
I’d like to know if anyone has used recycled orchard boxes as raised garden beds?I’ve seen these from a few different places, mainly marketed as pre filled patio type no-dig gardens.My main questions are whether they are likely to be treated pine so therefore safe for use as an edible garden and
Should the pallet style base be removed so the soil and other fillings can sit directly on the ground or will worms and other healthy creatures get in theresome other way?
We’ve found some quite cheap so we’re keen to go ahead with them, but I just wonder about the treated pine.
I look forward to hearing any thoughts!0 thumbs up!Posted over 1 year ago
Hi there! You're reading a conversation in the Australian and New Zealand gardeners: Welcome & Chat group on Folia.
This group is to give both Australian & New Zealand gardeners an opportunity to introduce themselves to their immediate neighbours, and also to the Folia community at large.
It can also be used for any gardening related chit chat that may be specific to locals only.
If you have a gardening event that you want to broadcast feel free to post it here – just note the state and year in the subject line, after its title.
Other Recent Topics See more...
- 13 Do not buy Debco seed raising mix! in the Australian and New Zealand gardeners: Welcome & Chat group Posted by Russell about 2 years ago. Last reply by abear 9 days ago.
- 1 Sweet Williams in the Australian and New Zealand gardeners: Welcome & Chat group Posted by Joyeux 7 days ago. Last reply by Pepita 3 days ago.
- 7 Best chemical-free tips? in the Australian and New Zealand gardeners: Welcome & Chat group Posted by Pepita 3 months ago. Last reply by Pepita 5 days ago.
- 0 Rare fruit and veg growers site in the Australian and New Zealand gardeners: Welcome & Chat group Posted by hillbillyhayshed over 2 years ago.
- 37 Our thoughts go out to all our friends across the Tasman today!! in the Australian and New Zealand gardeners: Welcome & Chat group Posted by Bernieh almost 3 years ago. Last reply by graibeard almost 3 years ago.