5 Step Guide to Growing Gorgeous Garlic
For those starting out to grow garlic, it might be helpful to get an outline of the steps involved for a successful crop – The article 5 Step Guide to Growing Gorgeous Garlic explains and illustrates (with photos/videos):
- When to plant;
- Selecting garlic varieties & preparing cloves for planting;
- Where to source varieties to grow;
- Preparing your soil or container and finding the right position in your garden;
- What to plant garlic with (and what not!) – companion planting;
- How to direct sow in the garden and containers;
- How to keep it fed and healthy;
- When/how to harvest, cure and store it properly so you’ll enjoy your harvest for longer
- And even how to plait soft neck garlic!
I’m planting soft neck varieties – what are you growing?4 thumbs up!Posted about 1 year ago
Wow, that is quite a mouthful…
The majority of the world’s garlic is grown in China and is sprayed with chemicals and bleached white with chlorine during importation quarantine processes, not to mention the thousands of food miles clocked up. But if you really want to gag on your garlic, according to the CEO of the Australian Garlic Industry Association, “some garlic growers over there (China) use raw human sewage to fertilise their crops.
Last year, I got a late start growing Music Garlic, it was ok, but not fully developed. I started my second attempt by getting a reasonable start in Fall ‘11. I ordered from Southern Exposure Seed Exchange because they’re closest to my area of Northern Virginia, and I wanted a local recommendation. I’m growing Lorz Italian (Softneck / Artichoke) and Kilarney Red (Hardneck / Rocambole). You can see their growth in a picture I posted on Flickr. They should be ready relatively soon, so I’ll post a review when they are.
1 thumbs up!Posted about 1 year ago
Thanks for sharing your garlic adventures Doubledug … those varieties all sound interesting especially the spicy Italian one! I’ve always found homegrown garlic so much more flavoursome and I think it also has to do with the minerals I add into the soil so the plants have everything they need. Would love to see some pics of those varieties. How do you manage to grow during the snow season? Do you bring any of your pots indoors or under cover or just use the cold frame?
0 thumbs up!Posted about 1 year ago
Growing garlic for the first time. I ordered 3 varieties from Hood River Garlic, which sent enormous beautiful bulbs. The plants seem to be thriving. I have Transylvanian, Red Janice, and Thai Purple.
0 thumbs up!Posted about 1 year ago
Hi there! You're reading a conversation in the Garlics, onions, chives, etc. group on Folia.
If you grow any plants that are in this group, this is the group for you!! Find out how to plant, grow, nurture, and harvest these delectable plants!!
Other Recent Topics See more...
- 0 rust in the Garlics, onions, chives, etc. group Posted by anelson about 1 month ago.
- 6 How do I grow green onions? in the Garlics, onions, chives, etc. group Posted by muddslide about 1 month ago. Last reply by muddslide about 1 month ago.
- 2 scapes on soft neck garlic in the Garlics, onions, chives, etc. group Posted by anelson 11 months ago. Last reply by JosephsGarden 6 months ago.
- 7 Garlic Article from "Organic Gardening" Magazine in the Garlics, onions, chives, etc. group Posted by Gardenerd about 2 years ago. Last reply by Amarylis 8 months ago.
- 6 A question about garlic in the Garlics, onions, chives, etc. group Posted by angelchrome about 3 years ago. Last reply by redloon about 1 year ago.