Chilli novice asks.. When do you harvest chilli's?
Hi chaps. I have posted this question elsewhere but just discovered y’all here.
I’m new to chilli,s and peppers so forgive the question if the answer is blindingly obvious. I’ve got Joe’s Long Cayenne growing well. They are long and green.
Do I ,1) pick them and ripen them at home? 2) Wait for the colour to start changing and then pick them? 3) Wait for them to go red on the plant and then pick them?
Thanks and apologies to anyone else who has given me answers else where but this seems to be where the chilli-heads live,0 thumbs up!Posted over 1 year ago | Last edited over 1 year ago
The Joe’s Longs are a favourite of mine and are one of the early “ripeners” here in Oz so I’m guessing that you should be able to get some red ones before the season ends there?
Are you on an allotment (you say ripen at home)? Can you leave them to colour up without losing them to others? Given a choice I’d leave them to ripen further but they are edible at any stage and freshly picked is best I believe.
They are okay when green, best when red (both for taste and presentation), tasteless if they are thieved. :-)
I’ve never noticed them to ripen further once picked. If they do it’s only very slowly and not worth waiting for. They are a thin walled pepper so there’s not much moisture in them to start with and they’ll start drying fairly quickly, or going mouldy inside if left for too long in less than ideal conditions.
1 thumbs up!Posted over 1 year ago | Last edited over 1 year ago
My poly tunnel with the chillis is on the sunny allotment, my home is in a shady wood. The thought was I could pick the chillis and put them in a windowsill/warm spot at home and they would turn red.
I will leave them a bit longer on the plant and hope the waning summer sun has enough woomph left to do the job. Thanks for the advice.
0 thumbs up!Posted over 1 year ago
Hi there! You're reading a conversation in the Chili and Hot Pepper Talk group on Folia.
Chili, Chilli, Chiles are all the same thing, they are hot and for discussion here.
This group is about all the hot peppers. For information and input on different strains, to swap seeds, to share ideas and knowledge.
If you’re looking for Sweet or Bell peppers, then visit the group Capsicums, Sweet peppers or Bell peppers
Other Recent Topics See more...
- 3 Sensible plantings for limited culinary use? in the Chili and Hot Pepper Talk group Posted by magick777 about 1 month ago. Last reply by magick777 about 1 month ago.
- 10 Overwintering Hot Peppers in the Chili and Hot Pepper Talk group Posted by Deanna 3 months ago. Last reply by misskittin 3 months ago.
- 0 A Real "Ghost" Chile in the Chili and Hot Pepper Talk group Posted by Ostrya over 1 year ago.
- 7 2013 - What peppers (hot of course) are you growing this year? in the Chili and Hot Pepper Talk group Posted by Xandir 3 months ago. Last reply by misskittin 3 months ago.
- 10 Homemade Hot Sauce in the Chili and Hot Pepper Talk group Posted by Deanna 9 months ago. Last reply by viper125 3 months ago.