The Colour of Cayenne
I am growing cayenne peppers for the first time this year.
I got the seeds at a “Seedy Saturday” seed swap and the only information on the envelope was “cayenne”.
I think of cayenne peppers as being traditionally red.
I have 4 peppers right now. One is green and has been so for a few days. The other 3 are jet black and have been so for about a week.
So, I guess my question is: do they go from green to black to red or are some cayenne peppers just black?
Also, one of the black ones seems to me to be “just the right size” for a cayenne and I want to pick it, but not if I should be leaving it to “ripen” to a red.
Any info would be greatly appreciated.0 thumbs up!Posted over 2 years ago
Red is a common colour but they can and do have a broad range. I grew some “Cayenne gold” last year and they lived up to their name. Chances are yours are red one’s if it wasn’t worth noting on the packet.
Some of the red ones will go through a black stage and eventually turn the correct colour, it’s just a matter of waiting, although, depending on weather conditions (climate) that may take a while.
If you have a few on the bushes then I wouldn’t be afraid to harvest a few at the green stage (immature), they’ll just lack the heat and attractiveness in dishes. Picking them early won’t affect the harvest either, they should set more fruit to replace the losses.
Either way, Enjoy!
1 thumbs up!Posted over 2 years ago | Last edited over 2 years ago
Thanks for the info, graibeard! I almost picked the biggest one today.
I like my hot peppers hot so I shall have to wait. The waiting is the hardest part! (big sigh)
0 thumbs up!Posted over 2 years ago
Glad I read this article as I have a few cayenne chillis that are black, I was going to pick them and bin them!! I didn’t realise they could be black.
1 thumbs up!Posted over 2 years ago
Hi there! You're reading a conversation in the Chili and Hot Pepper Talk group on Folia.
Chili, Chilli, Chiles are all the same thing, they are hot and for discussion here.
This group is about all the hot peppers. For information and input on different strains, to swap seeds, to share ideas and knowledge.
If you’re looking for Sweet or Bell peppers, then visit the group Capsicums, Sweet peppers or Bell peppers
Other Recent Topics See more...
- 1 Fushimi peppers! I think not! in the Chili and Hot Pepper Talk group Posted by viper125 about 1 month ago. Last reply by Mizufusion about 1 month ago.
- 9 2013 - What peppers (hot of course) are you growing this year? in the Chili and Hot Pepper Talk group Posted by Xandir 10 months ago. Last reply by fattox4189 3 months ago.
- 3 Sensible plantings for limited culinary use? in the Chili and Hot Pepper Talk group Posted by magick777 8 months ago. Last reply by magick777 8 months ago.
- 10 Overwintering Hot Peppers in the Chili and Hot Pepper Talk group Posted by Deanna 10 months ago. Last reply by misskittin 9 months ago.
- 0 A Real "Ghost" Chile in the Chili and Hot Pepper Talk group Posted by Ostrya about 2 years ago.