Tresco, Isles of Scilly, UK
This is a link to my journal about a visit we made to Tresco, one of the five inhabited islands of the Isles of Scilly, and the beautiful Abbey Gardens there.
Armorel0 thumbs up!Posted almost 3 years ago
Monday, January 16th, 2012 11:25
Tresco’s Abbey Garden
Gardeners at Tresco’s Abbey Garden have proof that our islands’ sub-tropical climate offers unique growing conditions.
The annual flower count, delayed from 3rd January because of gales, has just logged 231 different plant species in flower.
To be included in the count, there needs to be at least one flower on the plant.
Andrew Lawson, the Head Gardener, led the count with students over two days.
Curator Mike Nelhams says South African plants figure very strongly, with many of the Protea family showing well together with the Aloe group.
Many plants from Australia also feature with Banksia, Acacia and Grevillea all showing strongly.
Amongst the more unusual flowering for this time of the year are the fairly common Agapanthus, which locals will recognise and tend to flower on Scilly in July and August.
Mike says that there is no other garden in Britain that would get anywhere near this figure with plants that grow outside all year round.
0 thumbs up!Posted almost 2 years ago
Hi there! You're reading a conversation in the A Garden worth visiting group on Folia.
Tell us about the wonderful gardens in your part of the world or ones you’ve visited while on holiday! (photos & links to websites welcome)
Other Recent Topics See more...
- 2 Floors Castle Garden, Kelso, Borders - Scotland in the A Garden worth visiting group Posted by CDfolia over 1 year ago. Last reply by CDfolia over 1 year ago.
- 8 Shepherd House Garden - Inveresk (near Edinburgh) - Scotland in the A Garden worth visiting group Posted by CDfolia over 2 years ago. Last reply by CDfolia over 1 year ago.
- 25 Cambo Estate Garden - Fife - Scotland in the A Garden worth visiting group Posted by CDfolia almost 3 years ago. Last reply by AberdeenshireQuine over 1 year ago.
- 4 South West France in the A Garden worth visiting group Posted by AberdeenshireQuine over 1 year ago. Last reply by Armorel over 1 year ago.
- 1 Tresco, Isles of Scilly, UK in the A Garden worth visiting group Posted by Armorel almost 3 years ago. Last reply by Armorel almost 2 years ago.