merank's Compost garden
Garden Type: Compost | Sun: Partial Sun | Soil: Compost | Established: 2010
Not actually a garden (although there’s generally a nice crop of seedlings poking out the holes of one of the composters…)- I just wanted a way to track compost-related activities.
- Envirocycle – faster than my other composters, but doesn’t hold very much. Hard to empty when full (gets very heavy), but I like the built-in reservoir for catching compost juice and it’s the easiest “pile” to turn.
- Wheelie Bin – a 64 gal. trash bin with lots of holes drilled in. The bottom two-thirds seems to compost almost as fast as the envirocycle, but the top third is rather slow. There’s a tube made from rolled-up chickenwire down the center of the bin to improve air flow. Nice capacity, but REALLY heavy when full; hard to turn the “pile.”
- Wood & Wire leaf bin – 3′ × 3′ × 4′, with a removable front to make turning/emptying easier. All materials used were recycled from the original veggie patch. Mostly for holding leaves.
- Various Temporary Corrals – leftover hardware cloth or mesh fencing or whatever is on hand at the time.
2012 Compost “Harvest”
- Jan 5 – 2 buckets from tumbler
- Mar 3 – 2 buckets from tumbler, 4 from wheelie bin
2011 Compost “Harvest”
- March or April – 3 buckets from tumbler? (didn’t log)
- May 26 – 3.5 buckets from wheelie bin
- Jun 2 – 2.5 buckets from tumbler
- Aug 14 – 2 buckets from tumbler
- Sept 4 – 5 buckets from wheelie bin
- Total: 16 buckets, 7.5 from tumbler, 8.5 from wheelie bin.
Located in Round Rock, United States, merank's Compost garden is an outdoor garden that currently contains 0 plants.This is a Compost garden that is known to be in USDA Hardiness Zone 8b. It has mainly Compost soil and receives Partial Sun light.
There are no plantings in this garden yet.